GPCA
| 中文 | | Home | Peng Chau Story > Scenery > The Causeway

Causeway

causeway.jpgAlong the walk from Finger Hill to the pumping station, a side path leads towards the nearby seacoast and the pavilion at the end of the earth. Here as beautiful as a painting, one gets a wonderful view of the natural rugged seacoast and in the distance a view of Hong Kong Island and Kowloon.

causeway3.jpgcauseway1.jpgJust off shore there are two deserted islands. The small one closest to Peng Chau is "Silver Island", the other is Siu Kau Yi Chau (Little Sofa Island). Siu Kau Yi Chau was a base for Cheung Po-tsai, the Prince of Pirates, and has many caves he used. According to the historical records, in 1809 Cheung Po-tsai fought the Chinese authorities in a naval battle off the coast of Lantau. The next year Cheun Po-tsai accepted the Qing royal offer of a government position in Fujian. (Be sure to read the story of the role Peng Chau's Tin Hau Temple played in this decision by the Prince of Pirates.)

Copyright © 2003-2015 Green Peng Chau Association